1. The ______ of finding gold in California attracted a lot of people to settle down there.
A. prospects B. speculations C. stakes D. provisions
2. The hopes, goals, fears and desires ______ widely between men and women, between the rich and the poor.
A. alter B. shift C. transfer D. vary
3. Recent data indicate that the ______ of water in Orlova Valley has dropped over the last two years.
A. consume B. consumer C. consumption D. consumed
4. It appears likely that scientists, of course, can be expected to be ______, disinterested and not biased.
A. merciful B. impartial C. deliberate D. conspicuous
5. As your parents see the matter in a different angle, they probably will not _______ the plan.
A. adhere to B. conform to C. comply with D. consent to
6. I’m just phoning to see if we could ______ a meeting for next week.
A. fix B. commit C. cancel D. postpone