1. Whitcomb Hospital’s new efficiency program aims to reduce the workload of hospital employees while improving patient ______.
A. care B. cared C. careful D. carefully
2. The monthly rent includes all utilities, with the ______ of telephone and cable charges.
A. excess B. exception C. excuse D. exchange
3. Seats will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, so it would be best to arrive no ______ than 11:00 A.M.
A. later B. latest C. lateness D. late
4. In less than a millionth of a second the vast computer of an international airline can ______ accept 800 booking inquiries, and search its 50 million memory units for appropriate replies.
A. simultaneously B. implicitly
C. cautiously D. confidentially
5. Cancer is second only ______ heart disease as a cause of death.
A. of B. to C. with D. from
6. ______ much is known about what occurs during sleep, the precise function of sleep and its different stages remains largely in the realm of assumption.
A. Because B. For C. Since D. While